Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hector and Rene Velez

Last 18 April 2008 was my dad’s birthday! He “moved on” last June 4, 2001 while Cecile and I were still living and working in Vietnam. I could never forget the last words he told me as I left that morning in April 2001. He said, “Baka di mo na ako abutan pagbalik mo.” True enough, we received an early Monday morning call at our 1st Greenhome in Tran Nhat Duat. Dad had moved on. And the next day, I was on a flight back to Manila.

Last January 2004, during our first trip to the East Coast, Cecile and I surprised my ninong, Rene Velez (dad’s eldest brother) with a visit in New Jersey. And he was indeed surprised, even close to tears. He said to me, “Akalain mo, ditto pa tayo magkikita ulit.” A few days ago, I received a text message from Patrick asking me to call New Jersey and missed calls from Renelle. Those were more than enough signs. And true enough, I called and talked to Tita Nenen and Renelle (my cousin). He, too, had moved on.

Both brothers have “moved on” to beyond life here on earth. They are probably side by side, watching me scribble these words. Hopefully, happy and smiling that both had lived a full life with their families here.

Now, our last visit to the East Coast last December 2007 was made even more memorable as it was the last time, I would see Tito Rene smile. Even though he was sick and in bed, Cecile and I, knew that he was really more than happy to see us. I also saw tears in his eyes.

Thank you for being good parents to us, all of us, from New York to Makati.

We will miss you both!

No comments: