Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Worker's Parenthood


During the mid-1980s, I was an active union leader with the Bulletin Employees Union. That was more than 20 years ago. The Manila Bulletin was my first job. My mom recommended me to the late Mariano Quimson, who then the President of Manila Bulletin.

Quietly, I worked for five years with the Advertising Department. Accepting classified ads. Proofreading copy. Measuring ad space. Responding to advertiser’s complaints. Worked in all three branches. Cubao (front of the old Mamunluk Restaurant). Makati Peninsula. Grace Park, Caloocan City. Earning around 6,000 pesos a month.

Sometime in 1987, I was elected to the Board of Directors of the BEU (Bulletin Employees Union). A series of union-busting activities by management led to a company-wide strike in August 1987.

How does being a labor union leader relate to parenthood? At that time, I was young. Single. Only had a girlfriend. But I saw many parents among the union members who were sacrificing their life and careers for what they believed in. Their rights was workers. Organized union. Respect for law. Just and fair wages. All of which would ultimately benefit their own families. And make them even more responsible parents.

It has been over 20 years since the strike. Many of us from the BEU had moved on. Others continue to work for the Manila Bulletin. A few joined the Inquirer. Some ventured to their own business.

Me? Still on the road for the pursuit of parenthood.

Today, Chief and I pay tribute to all the workers who get less for a day’s work. Specially, those out in the open field and out of the country. We offer prayers for strength and hope for a better life with your own families.

No comments: