Monday, June 04, 2007

7 Years


Seven years ago, today, my dad, Hector Urbano Velez, passed away and moved on to another life.

It was seven years ago, today, when Chief and I received an early morning call in our 1st Greenhome in Ho Chi Minh City. The call came at around 2am. It was my sister, Violet. And she was crying. Immediately, we felt that it was bad news. Sad news. Terrible news. I could feel tears and sadness in our home in BF Paranaque. Miguel was crying. The three girls, Carla, Geneve and Nicole were still asleep, unmindful of what was going on at home.

I talked to mom. Trying to comfort her. Assuring her that we would be on the first available flight back to Manila.

After the call, Chief and I stood outside our veranda. Just holding hands. Close to each other. We were both still in tears. I kept recalling my last phone conversation with my dad. "Na-miss ko na iyon mga midnight snack natin," he said to me. And I would quickly remember how we would wake up at around midnight, eat some biscuits, drink coke or have some ice cream.

He also said, "Baka hindi mo na ako abutan."

When I left Manila (April 2001), I know he felt really sad that I moved on beyond BF and start a new life with Chief in Vietnam. And to this day, those images of me packing my bags and going to the airport are as vivid as they can be. My dad didn't bring me to the airport. My last image of him was... he was seated near the dining table. I was teary-eyed. Holding back my tears. Trying to be strong for my parents.

Today, seven years after, there are still tears in my heart. Some questions which will never be answered. But am sure that my dad, Hector Urbano Velez, looks down upon Chief and I every day.... smiling and very proud of us.

I love you dad. Miss you terribly.

No comments: