Monday, June 18, 2007

Free Donuts on Father's Day


Last Sunday afternoon, after Chief and I had walked around the shops at High Street, in The Fort, Bonifacio City. we went into the Krispy Kreme outlet. It was our first time to be in Krispy Kreme. And this is also their first outlet in the Philippines. And it was also the first time to see the donut making process. Fresh out of the oven.

This donuts chain have gone a long way since 1937 when Vernon Carver Rudolph, the founder of Krispy Kreme, bought a doughnut shop in Paducah, Kentucky, from a French chef from New Orleans. At that time, Vernon received the rights to a secret yeast-raised doughnut recipe. Probably, the “melt in your mouth” secret recipe.

Customers who were in line, along the long window between the customer area and the kitchen, could actually watch the operation of the doughnut making machines. The machines produce rings of dough, yeast raise, bake, deep-fry, flip, and glaze the doughnuts. There is a sign "HOT doughnuts now."

I got one free donut as I waited in line and gave it to Chief. She ate half and I are the other half, after I had paid 385 pesos for a dozen donuts and free Krispy Kreme coffee mug. Not bad, specially, on Father’s Day!


Today, Chief gave six donuts to her Nestle Team, while I would bring the other box of six for our PR Team. Trans fat or not, the donuts taste good. But would not make it part of my daily eating habit. Maybe, only on “Father’s Day.” And maybe, next year, Chief and I, like really proud parents, will be here with a little toddler

Cheers to all dads in the world like me!

No comments: