Monday, January 14, 2008

Barbie and Transformers


On our last day here in Oakland, California, Nicole Velez, my youngest “pamangkin” was making “lambing.” Result: Laly and I drove to “Toys R Us” the most famous and the second largest toy store chain in the United States. Wal-Mart is the biggest chain. And this outlet was only a 5-minute drive from Laly’s home in Hayward. Photo shows me and Nicole outside the store. Photo taken by Laly.

Cecile opted to stay at the house and pack our stuff as we would be leaving for Los Angeles soon.

Toys R Us has 587 stores in the United States and 600 stores in 29 other countries. I remember the first time I went to this store in HK around 1988, together with Rene Bernal. I was overwhelmed by all the toys one could get… and I was already 28 years old then. I bought my first remote control racing car. Forgot how much it cost. But I know Rene was surprised how much I enjoyed this toy as I put it into gear just outside the store’s doors, after I had bought it.


Now, it is Nicole is having fun shopping for toys. She quickly picked out a “Barbie” doll set, which was pretty expensive. Around 30 dollars. I also got her a smaller “Barbie” set as she has started her “tantrums.” She just wanted both toys. She is really spoiled by her mom. Photo shows Nicole enjoying her new toys.

Laly bought Miguel a transformer-inspired Star Wars set, while I got him a smaller “Transformer” toy worth around ten dollars. I could have bought something for myself but didnt want to start collecting "Transformers" even if I also enjoyed the movie. But for myself, I got three tanks! Those die-cast toys.

The flagship store in New York City's Times Square is the largest toy store in the United States, has a colorful ferris wheel, a lego display, and roaring dinosaur!

It Charles Lazarus who started Toys R"Us in Washington, DC during the baby boom era in 1948. The store was then a baby furniture retailer known as "Childrens Supermart." Later, it was "Children's Bargain Town USA".

Today, the chain gives smiles and tears to millions of kids like Nicole and Miguel around the world and to adults like me, who discover a world of toys.

No comments: