Sunday, January 20, 2008

Vodka In Her Hand



Tita Lourding Velez had a full life at 79 years old, even if she would normally have a glass of vodka in her hand. Greg Jarencio said one of her favorites was Vodka crystals. Now, that I have to find out. Photo shows Greg Jarencio, Mom, my sisters, Violet and Minnie, and my wife Cecile, during a birthday celebration.

Cecile and I went to pay our last respects to her last Friday night at Mt. Carmel Church along Sta. Mesa, near Broadway Centrum.

Cecile had picked me up from school, since I had an early Friday morning class and decided to stay for thesis consultation the whole day.

We arrived at the wake around 8pm and greeted Tito Pepe and Tita Irene. Tito Pepe is dad’s first cousin. He is a famous ophthalmologist in Manila but age has also slowed down his career.

Then, we caught up with Greg and Monet Jarencio, swapping stories about family and advertising. Also, made kuwento about our recent trip to the East Coast and meeting up with my dad’s brother, Tito Rene and Tita Nenen.

Cecile recalled that during mom’s 70th birthday, Tita Lourding came to Aristocrat Restaurant, where the birhday party was held. She was already in a wheelchair but still had a glass of vodka in her hand. See photo.

Cheers to Tita Lourding!

2 comments:

Pat_V said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pat_V said...

I remember when I first met her as an adult. It was at Gretchen's wedding in Maryland.

It was outside where the smokers had been exiled. She had one already lit up and I lit up one for myself. We started talking.

>>raises a drink>>>

Cheers Tita