Friday, June 23, 2006

Four Fathers


Last Sunday was our 1st ever Father's Day here in Manila, after we returned from Vietnam last September 2005. Chief and I met up with Three Fathers who are our reasons for being and who continue to touch our lives.

Edwin Gabutina. Chief's father. A deeply religious man, who would take notice if I wore shorts in Church. He is a sports addict and is cheering the Dallas Mavericks. Me. Hmmmm, Miami Heat!

We spent the night in Cavite. Mom cooked up nilaga with lots of potatoes. My favorite. There was also fried chicken. For dessert, we had turong and mocha-flavored ice cream.

Minnie Gabutina traveled from Laguna to join all of us for lunch. Manny and Vangie and the 3 bugoys were there, jockeying for position in front of the TV set to watch Zathura.

Angelo and Aileen arrived with their own little Princess Kimi.

Hector Velez. My dad. He passed away last 04 June 2001, while Chief and I were living in Vietnam. He was a very quiet person, specially, during his last few years. He was especially sad when I decided to leave for Vietnam, and wouldn't forget his last words to me, "Baka di mo na ako ma-abutan."

We visited Dad later in the afternoon. There were two flowers in bloom, placed earlier by mom and my sisters. Chief and I prayed. Quiet. Enjoying the late afternoon breeze.

My mom prepared sinigang and lumpia for dinner. There was mango cake and brownies and bananas for dessert.

Fr, Armand Robleza. He was my classmate in Ateneo Graduate School in the early 90s. And would give me a ride from Katipunan up to Ayala Avenue after our 6 to 9pm class with Fr. Nim.

We rushed to catch Fr. Armand's 8:30pm Mass at Don Bosco. I had long wanted Chief and I to attend his mass and hear his sermon.

And we were not disappointed with Fr. Armand's words. He clearly described the important role of the father in a family. Sacrifice. Leadership. Towards the end of his sermon, he urged families to hug their fathers. "O ano pa ang hinihintay ninyo. Hug your daddys. They need 9 hugs a day for emotional health." Families hugged and kissed after they heard his words. People also applauded.

Chief was a little teary eyed as Fr. Armand mentioned that parenthood starts at the moment of conception. Was he referring to us? We wondered. "Kitang-kita ka kase in your yellow shirt." says Chief. Am sure Fr. Armand saw us from the altar.

After Mass, we waited a few minutes after all his well-wishers and friends had greeted him. I greeted him, "Happy Father's Day." He hugged us. He asked "O kamusta na kayo? He said a special prayer and gave a blessing for Cecile as she goes for her D and C (raspa) this week. And we would try to meet up this Friday for dinner.

For us, 18 June 2006 Father's Day is all these three fathers. Edwin Gabutina. Hector Velez. And Fr. Armand Robleza. Plus, the fourth father. That is me. Father to Christian Gabriel Gabutina Velez. Thanks CG for giving me a chance to feel like a father, even for just two months. We love you CG.

Happy Father�s Day to all fathers out there in blogosphere.

No comments: