Sunday, November 25, 2007

Mom at 71

Rene was early at mom’s birthday lunch in BF Homes Paranaque City. Among my many friends, he is now mom’s friend and text mate too. Chief and I quickly swapped stories from the Ad Congress and our own mid-80s trip to Ilocos Norte.

Melo, Cindy and Dexter had arrived Friday night for earlier. And also went out ballroom dancing with Mom, Violet and Miguel up to 2am, extending to Saturday morning. During those hours, Chief and I, together with Matess and Aries Estrella were still in Subic Bay Freeport at the Malboro Red Lights Party.

Monina Garcia, my cousin had cooked chicken and was also busy chopping the 5,000 peso lechon. Later, Melo would say that a 30 kilo lechon in Angeles would cost only around 3,000 pesos. That would also be roughly the cost of lechon was bought in La Loma.

Our relatives and cousins started arriving around noon. Bong, Gina and their 7 year old son Ryan also arrived. Toti and his family arrived. Tita Cely and Tita Peling also arrived. There were only a few guests. Still, enough quorum for two tables of mahjong. Tita Cely wiped out our table on the”first high” that surprised Vic de Vera (Nedda’s husband) and my cousin, Melo. Later, mom would take my place at this table. I felt that luck was not on my side.

No comments: