Friday, October 19, 2007

La Provincial

It was Rene Bernal's birthday treat. Rene had been my friend since 1983, when I first entered UST Graduate School, where I first met him, together with Nady Nacario and Christie Que. I was then with Manila Bulletin (my first job). He also stayed with Chief and I in Vietnam in 2002. And my first overseas trip to HK was with him. That was back in the mid-80s.

Chief had picked me up front Rustan’s Fresh in Greenbelt 1 at around 7pm. There was definitely the mad rush going home along EDSA on a Thursday night. I was swapping SMS with Egay Guerrero.

By 7:30pm, we were going around Ortigas Center as I made a wrong turn at San Miguel Avenue. Not really familiar with the streets here at night. A few minutes later, we had parked in front of the shopping mall and on the escalator heading to the La Pronvincial, 2nd floor of the EDSA Shangrila Mall.

Everyone was here when we arrived. Rene Bernal. Nady Nacario. Issa Avendano. Christie Que. Egay Guerrero, easily recognizable with his Jay Leno grey hair. Food was being served. Two types of pasta and pizza. Plus salad. (Again, I took pictures courtesy of Sony Cybershot!)

Gifts had been exchanged. Even Issa and Nady gave me a birthday gift. A Jose Marie Chan CD. “Naku, papaiyakin nito kame,” I said, knowing the senti music of Jose Marie Chan. Earlier, I had bought a “Noel” the new Christmas CD of Josh Broban, who recently was here in Manila for a series of concerts.

We all laughed and talked about the good old days we had, from the bathroom pictures of Rose Dumpit to Egay’s old car spinning 360 degree along NLEX. We were also teasing Rene about his birthday trip to Bangkok and the 600 bhat massage. Did he get that massage?

Chief and I announced our up and coming TV segment at “Mel and Joey.” Everyone was surprised and eager to see it. Egay said, “Magpapatali ako sa sofa para siguradong mapanood ko iyon.” He was also proud to talk about his 8 year old daughter, who had recently won a school quiz competition.

Egay was looking back to 1979 when I first met him as he was the boyfriend of Cecil Recto Villa, who was my classmate in Comm Arts. He recounted how we worked on our thesis, 25 years ago! Cecile thesis mates included Elaine Velasco, Jeanette Manarang, Genoveva Balandra, while I did work with Joyce, Edith, Chie and Jovie.

Our friendship had stood the test of time!

No comments: