Saturday, October 06, 2007

Wifi at Tan Son Nhat


Wow.... wi-fi at Tan Son Nhat Airport! This is a newly-opened airport. Just a few weeks old. Very modern and clean. And spacious. Really a far cry from our own Centenial Airport, NAIA 2. The are around 20 Immigration counters.

I didn’t even have to pay airport tax, which is probably included in my ticket already. A couple of Pinoys talking near me and blabbing about the new airport too.

What it lacks is duty free shops. Of course, nothing compared to HK and Singapore Airport, which have coffee shops and all the branded shops. Here, I saw a Swatch retail shop. Another shop sells traditional Vietnamese products, from Trung Nguyen Coffee to Chateau Tea and cashew nuts, But I pulled back from buying any more pasalubong as I exceeded shopping allowance already.

According to Wikipedia, the airport begun as an unpaved airport during the early 1930s. It was constructed by the French in the village of Tan Son Nhat. Around 1956, the US built a 7,200-foot runway. During the war, it was an important airport for the US and South Vietnam. Today, it is one of the newest and modern airports in the Region.

I remember reading in Vietnam News around December 2004, when the United Airlines became the first U.S. airline to fly to Vietnam since the fall of Saigon.

Chief just called me from our Greenhome. She says that she couldn’t sleep last night. Eager and excited to hug me after ten days.

Soon, I will be home again and continue the steps of our lives together!

No comments: